Shelby Automobiles will use newly-developed Ford
Racing GT500 performance packs to help transform a limited number of 2007 and
2008 Ford Shelby GT500’s into fire breathing “Super Snake” coupes. The Super
Snake post-title package will include enhancements to the Ford Shelby GT500’s
handling, styling and power; tuning options will range from a warranted 600 bhp
V8 to over 725 bhp (unwarranted). Only a limited number of Super Snakes will be
built per model year at the Shelby Automobiles facility in Las Vegas beginning
in late 2007.
“My team at Shelby Automobiles is always working on new ways to build better performing cars” said Carroll Shelby. “I told them that I wanted to build a vehicle that could blow the doors off of most anything on the planet. By partnering with Ford Racing, we’re giving enthusiasts a Mustang with that level of performance.”
Working together at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway and in Dearborn, Ford Racing and Team Shelby developed the aggressive suspension and engine package specifically for the car.
“Mustang enthusiasts are demanding more from both Ford Racing and Shelby Autos” said Jamie Allison, Manager of Ford Racing Performance Group. “The GT500 Super Snake package, with its higher horsepower levels and balanced track-inspired tuning, satisfies those demands and then some … in a uniquely Ford – Shelby way.”
In 1967, Shelby American built one 427-powered GT500 “Super Snake” for Mel Burns Ford. Carroll Shelby drove it at the Goodyear test track for tire promotion film production. That car reached lap speeds of over 150 mph and a top speed of 170 mph. The new Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake will be equally potent.
“The name ‘Super Snake’ is legendary because the one that Shelby built was the pinnacle of muscle cars in 1967,” added Amy Boylan, president of Shelby Automobiles. “We’re bringing that concept forward 40 years for customers who own a Ford Shelby GT500. We’ll give their car amazing new capabilities.”
Ford Racing and Team Shelby developed the GT500 Super Snake package which will include:
- Ford Racing Supercharger upgrade kit (SuperPack 600) producing over 600 horsepower and 590 lb-ft of torque
- 6-speed manual transmission with 3.73:1 rear axle ratio
- Ford Racing performance exhaust system
- Ford Racing Handling Pack offering unique performance suspension tuning including Dynamic adjustable dampers, lowering springs, tuned stabilizer bars, and front strut tower brace
- Shelby-designed Alcoa 20-inch wheels
- Ford Racing short-throw shifter
- Baer 6 piston brakes with Shelby cast calipers and larger rotors
- Front brake cooling ducts
- Unique carbon composite hood featuring classic Shelby design
- ‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid
- 'Super Snake' vehicle badging
- Carroll Shelby signature embroidered headrests, floor mats and other Shelby designed components
- Official Shelby CSM dash plate
In addition, while the full Super Snake package will be available exclusively through Shelby Automobiles, many of the products comprising the Super Snake package will be available from Shelby Automobiles and Ford Racing starting in June.