2009 Mitsubishi Galant Fortis Ralliart
2009 Mitsubishi Galant Fortis Ralliart Specifications
|Layout||Front Engine, Full-Time 4WD|
|Transmission||Twin Clutch SST 6 Speed Automated Manual|
|Differential||Active Center Differential, Mechanical Rear Limited Slip|
|Brakes||16 in. 2-Pot Ventilated Disc ABS|
|Engine Type||16-valve DOHC MIVEC Turbocharged Inline 4 Cylinder|
|Torque||253 lb-ft. @ 3000 rpm|
|Horsepower||237 bhp @ 6000 rpm|
|Wheels||18-inch 7JJ Alloy|
|Hood||Functional Hood Scoop Feeding Turbocharger|
|0-100 km/h (0-62 mph)||approx. 5.3 sec|
|1/4 mile||14.2 sec|
Base Price: 2009 Mitsubishi Galant Fortis Ralliart - 2,982,000 yen (approx. $28,000 USD)
Mitsubishi Gives the JDM Galant Fortis RALLIART High Performance Treatment
Mitsubishi Motors of Japan have announced that they are now giving the Galant sedan the same sports compact car treatment to the Galant Fortis sedan that has been given to the Lancer Ralliart edition in the United States, slotting the 2009 Galant Fortis Ralliart above the standard Galant Fortis in price and performance.
Featuring full time 4WD and a new look, the Galant Fortis Ralliart is available as a 2009 model at Mitsubishi dealerships throughout Japan. The interior is highly upgraded over the standard Galant Fortis, and the Galant Fortis Ralliart has a sporting look about it that earns it the badge. The Galant Fortis Ralliart is similar in feature set to the Lancer Ralliart just announced for US and European distribution, but no word from Mitsu about whether markets outside Japan will get a Galant with the Ralliart treatment.
The Galant Fortis and new EVO X further raise the question of exactly where the Mitsubishi Eclipse fits into the Japanese sports compact car maker's long term plans. With a sub-standard front wheel drive platform and less spirted driving than the Galant Fortis Ralliart or new Lancer Ralliart, is the Mitsubishi Eclipse a failed experience in Mitsubishi's competing in the two door sports compact car segment?
For now, let's just hope that Mitsubishi gives the rest of its lineup a similar Ralliart treatment the world over.
Mitsubishi Motors announces launch of
Galant Fortis RALLIART premium sporty 4WD sedan
[Mitsubishi Press Release]
Tokyo, July 9 2008 , Mitsubishi Motors Corporation announces the addition of the premium sporty 4WD RALLIART trim level to the Galant Fortis sedan series. The new model raises the driving pleasure bar while retaining all the utility and comfort qualities of the base model. RALLIART comes with a price tag of 2,982,000 yen and goes on sale at affiliated dealership throughout Japan today.
Launched in August 2007 Galant Fortis was MMC's first new sedan model in seven years. It has been well received by customers looking principally for everyday utility plus a taste of sporty performance, while the Lancer Evolution X finds favor with those drivers looking to enjoy a serious sport driving experience, participation in motorsport events included. The new Galant Fortis RALLIART strikes an excellent balance between everyday driving comfort and fun-to-drive dynamic performance and as such will meet the needs and demands of a wide spectrum of customers.
* The car features a unique front bumper designed to reduce air resistance. Increasing the size of the "jet-fighter" grille, an element of the MMC sedan design identity, both improves engine cooling and with the chrome treatment of its perimeter enhances the premium look to the car. The bottom edge of the bumper is designed as an air dam for improved handling and vehicle stability at higher speeds.
* The engine hood uses a lightweight aluminum panel with an air scoop to feed the turbocharger; twin air outlets discharge heat from the engine compartment.
* The unique rear bumper accommodates twin tail pipes. The bumper's design enhances airflow control and contributes to better straight-line stability at higher speeds.
* The factory-fitted option rear decklid wing-spoiler generates effective downforce.
* The grille and trunk lid carry the RALLIART emblem.
* The interior uses an elegant deep black color scheme while the dashboard features an ornamentation panel comprising a geometric check pattern and silver pin beading that adds a mechanical taste and gives the cockpit a sporty, high-quality appearance.
* The unique instrument cluster dials use matte black faces with white high-contrast graphics for excellent legibility.
* The steering wheel and shifter knob are wrapped in luxurious genuine leather. The aluminum accelerator and brake pedals are fitted with non-slip rubber strips.
* The front seats keep the occupant securely and comfortably positioned and use high-grip suede-knit upholstery. The shoulder bolster carries the RALLIART tag.
* Galant Fortis RALLIART is powered by an intercooler-turbocharged 4B11-type 2.0-liter 16-valve DOHC MIVEC*1 high-performance engine. With the focus on low- to mid-range torque, the engine uses a single-scroll turbocharger. Optimization of the cooling and exhaust systems boosts output to maxima of 177 kW (240 PS) / 6000 rpm and 343 Nm (35.0 kg-m) / 3000 rpm.
* Galant Fortis RALLIART returns 10-15 mode combined driving pattern fuel consumption of 10.2 km/l (filed with the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism), and earns a 3-star rating for emissions that are 50% better than the Japanese 2005 Emission Standards.
*1: Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system
* Galant Fortis RALLIART is fitted with Mitsubishi's Twin Clutch SST (Sport Shift Transmission) automated manual transmission that allows the driver both the fun and economy of a manual gearbox plus the convenience and comfort of an automatic transmission. The Twin Clutch SST used on the Lancer Evolution X has been modified for Galant Fortis RALLIART with different ratios for 5th and 6th gears to give improved fuel economy in high-speed cruising on longer trips.
* The driver has the choice of two automated shifting modes: NORMAL for maximum fuel economy and comfort in everyday driving; and SPORT with shift characteristics best suited to sportier performance.
5. Full-time 4WD system
* Galant Fortis RALLIART uses a full-time 4WD system comprising a front helical limited slip differential, an Active Center Differential*2 and a mechanical rear LSD. These components as well as Active Stability Control*3 and Anti-lock Braking*4 are all electronically and integrally managed by Mitsubishi's vehicle dynamics control system to deliver an optimum balance between sure-footed traction and steering feel, cornering and braking performance.
* The driver can select between three ACD modes: TARMAC for dry paved surfaces; GRAVEL for wet tarmac or loose unmade surfaces; and SNOW for snow-covered surfaces.
*2: Electronically regulates the speed differential between front and rear wheels and feeds optimal level of drive torque to each wheel.
*3: Improves stability by suppressing wheel spin and sudden changes in vehicle behavior on slippery surfaces or caused by sudden steering inputs.
*4: Retains braking and steering control by preventing wheels from locking up under emergency braking and also uses Electronic Brake force Distribution for the efficient
distribution of braking power to each wheel for different road surface and vehicle load conditions.
6. Body and chassis
* Galant Fortis RALLIART uses Mitsubishi's RISE high-rigidity safety body that gives enhanced multi-directional crashworthiness in frontal, rear and side collisions. The front bumper, engine hood, fenders and cowl are designed for enhanced pedestrian protection.
* The suspension features stiffer control arms and mountings and the use of high-rigidity cast iron trailing arms at the rear. These changes and optimization of spring rates and shock absorber damping give RALLIART sportier handling, vehicle stability and ride.
* RALLIART uses 16-inch 2-pot caliper ventilated disc brakes at the front and with optimization of front and rear systems; delivers braking that matches its higher power output.
* RALLIART rides on 18-inch 7JJ alloy wheels fitted with 215/45R 18 89W tires.